Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Wrapping up a Birthday

So, did I mention that last Tuesday was Tyler's birthday?  Feel free to check my previous post for a reminder ;-)  We had a family birthday party last Friday night with aunts and uncles and cousins.  You know, one of those "let's gather at Granma & Grampa's and enjoy the cacophony that follows" evenings.  And it was, and we did!

There were the requisite presents and gifts and food and laughter - and a couple tears contributed by cousins (80% of whom are under the age of 5).  At present adults outnumber mini-mes, but they also add to the disharmony that is music to my ears.  What will happen when the scales tip in favor of the youngest generation?  It will be a few years before we know - no triplets in the offing this year anyway.

The star of the birthday bash was a superhero-crazy four year old.  I thought my knowledge of caped crusaders was pretty decent:  Superman, Spidey, the Flash, Batman, He Man, the Hulk...even Wonder Woman and Cat Woman, neither of whom are likely to play a part in this story.  Turns out Marvel Comics has added to the mix: Iron Man, Wolverine and Daredevil, to name a few.

Tyler wears superhero socks and shirts and underwear.  He wears sweatbands on his wrists to emulate Spider Man's web shooting ability.  Always prepared, Tyler carries a weapon:  a shovel, a Marble Works tube, a spoon, a Lego creation.  There is no way that Dr. Doom or Magneto or the Green Goblin will get the drop on my grandson!

One thing Tyler lacked, though, was a superhero cape.   Dum, dum, DUM - Granma to the rescue!  And not wanting any grandboy of mine to feel left out - a made one for each of them!  I couldn't wait for the party and the presentation!  Oh, the best laid plans...

Turns out Tyler wanted nothing to do with the cape, nor did his three year old cousin, Aidan.  Josiah, while compliant with the donning the cape, wandered around saying "off, off".  Bryce, who I feared was too old for such Granma frivolity, was the only one who really LIKED the cape.

So how then did I get a picture of all five grandboys in their capes?  Granmas persevere.
 Granmas coax and cajole.  Granmas are universally loved, respected and obeyed.  Actually, Granmas are not above bribery.

And in the end, I got my picture...

2 comments:

  1. Delightful! This made me smile, Lory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! They have that affect on me, too!

      Delete