Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Tracks of our Tears

Babies don’t cry for their first few weeks of life.  Well, not with tears, anyway.  They make their desires known, it just doesn't leak out of their eyes – but it will!  Pretty soon, the tears flow when they are hungry or tired or bored or uncomfortable or, especially, when they see their mama dozing off.  They are great little alarm clocks, sans a reliable on/off switch.

Three-year-old’s tears – now that’s some fun stuff!  Huge droplets of water rain from their eyes.  “He took my [fill in the blank].”    “No, that’s his, yours is right here.”  Without a word of thanks or apology, the rivers stop.  I’m convinced that only a three year old can cry in reverse.  As soon as they get their way, the tears actually recede back into the tear ducts for later use.  The definition of “later” is anywhere from 30 seconds to two and a half minutes.  Reclaimed tears will not be denied.  Neither will a three year old.

The tears of a child in run-of-the-mill physical pain are easy tears.  Not easy for the child, of course, but generally they are easily dispelled – a hug, a band-aid, a cookie.  Granma’s are especially good with the latter remedy.  This Granma has had the great fortune of escaping the more serious illness or injury tears.  I may not always be so, but I’ll continue to count that blessing for now.

I have, however, experience the tears of an eight year old boy whose world of play and laughter has been interrupted by a world of hurts of the adult degree.  Those tears burn like acid - down his cheeks and on my shoulder.  Years ago, I learned with tears of my own that I could not save my own sons from hurts of the psychological and emotional kind.  Why did I revert to thinking I could protect the next generation?  

Yet, armed only with my best intentions, my love – and cookies, I’ll keep trying. I won’t tell them that big boys don’t cry.  They do – they all do – either on the outside or the inside.  Granmas may not be superheroes, but we keep putting on the cape.  If the cape’s only use is to dry tears – it’s enough.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I loved this! "Granmas may not be superheroes, but we keep putting on the cape. If the cape's only use is to dry tears--it's enough." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. I don't want people think that Granma is all fun and games - but it is all love!!! :-)

      Delete