Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Heritary Construct

Colin & Corey lending a hand - circa 1993
As a freshman in college, my advisor encouraged me to take a genetics class that I would ultimately need for my major in Sociology.  I guess it made sense to get it out of the way, except that I was missing the pre-requisite (hmmmm).  It was a small college, thankfully, so I got to know each of the other 9 students in the class - all upperclassmen - all pre-med.  Seriously, my advisor should have been shot.  I learned all about the the sex habits of fruit flies, and why calico cats are always female, and blue eyes verses brown.  And I remember these things 30+ years later, which probably says more about the nightmares I endured than my actual interest in genetics.  I squeaked by with the lowest of B's, and have never been more proud of a grade.

Another generation starts with Bryce!
So here's a genetics lesson 101 for you - free of charge.  (You will receive what you paid for...)  Dominate traits include things like dark hair, eyes and skin coloring.  You probably already knew that.  If Mommy and Daddy both posses a dominate trait, like brown eyes, there is a 75% chance that their child will, as well.  However, in my rather "scientific" observation, I have uncovered a lesser known dominate trait that runs in my family.  I call it the handyman gene.

My father, a pastor, would also tinker with cars and construction.  He inherited that from his father, an engineer.  My siblings and I are also carriers of the gene, which is a good thing, since Dad put us to work, helping on his projects.  My husband is also handy with a hammer.  I'll never forget when he volunteered to help a friend shingle his house - the on-site expert.  He came home that night and announce how much fun it was to do something he had never done before.  I was a bit horrified!  But the roof didn't leak - to the best of my knowledge.

Likewise, our sons grew up playing in sawdust and figured out quickly which nail (metal verses finger) to hit with a hammer.  They are willing to tackle most jobs on their own or with an assist from either a parental unit or U-Tube - whichever is more readily available.

Court is currently remodeling his basement, which lead to a proud Granma moment.  When I went over to check on the progress, I found grandboy number one revealing his heretofore hidden genetic ability.  Crowbar and hammer in hand, Bryce showed me how he was prying up tiles from the concrete where they had been affixed for at least a couple of decades.  He gave me a huge smile as he explained his exploits.  At least, he said he was smiling when I took the picture.  He wouldn't lie about that, would he?

So thanks to my ill-advised advisor, I am ready to scientifically state with 75% certainly that Bryce carries the handyman gene!  Here's to another generation!  Happy to see the trait continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment