Friday, November 7, 2014

Happy Birthday to ME!!!

Today is my birthday!  My mother might disagree, and I'll give her that.  She was, of course, there when I was born.  But then, so was I!  Her memory might be a bit more clear than mine.  Being so new, the whole experience was rather overwhelming to me.  I cried.  Perhaps Mom cried, too.  I never asked.  I am her third child but first daughter.  Maybe she was overwhelmed by the prospect of pink, as I might be - someday.  I digress.

At any rate, she claims that my birthday is not for another two days.  My birth certificate backs her up.  Regardless, today is my ninth birthday, another fact that is inaccurately cataloged on said certificate.  Today is the anniversary of my birth as GRANMA!  (Spell check thinks I don't know how to spell my own name.  It's phonetic.  The "D" isn't silent, it just isn't there.)  I remember this birthday much more accurately - indelibly, even!

Nine years ago today, Bryce Harris made his way into the world and into my heart.  He cried.  So did I.  Gazing on those tiny fingers and toes, kissing his peach-fuzzy head, wondering how such a tiny body could hold such tiny lungs that could filled a whole room...  He was beautiful - perfect - 100% boy - 100% love of my life - my grandboy! (Here, the "D" is not silent.  Spell check still tells me I can't spell.  I already knew that.)  

You will probably find it no surprise that he is still beautiful and as perfect as 100% boy can manage and the love of my life.  As that little-boy-blue-bundle grew, so did I.  Naturally, I already knew my way around a baby, but I had to share this baby.  My opinion wasn't gospel, and sometimes not even welcome.  Sigh.  He cut teeth, and I cut my teeth on him, too.  Metaphorically speaking, of course; Granma's don't bite.  

Once I got used to that slight, umm, slight, I rather like this new life!  Love 'em up and send 'em home. The best of the best!  I get to buy things that have zero practicality just because they are cute or potentially fun and hopefully not too dangerous in the hands of 100% boy.  I get to visit the zoo and the pumpkin patch and school sings again.  They are all more fun this second time around.  I get to swing at the park and climb up the rocket that houses a slide that little ones managed on the up side but fear descent when it's time to return to earth.  Alas, that hasn't changed.  This particular rocket in question is not adult friendly - less so now than it was a quarter of a century ago.  The amazing part is that the rocket is still there, capturing childhood imagination and unsuspecting or overindulgent adults.  I was unsuspecting with my sons and overindulgent with the grandboys.  My nemesis - maybe the worst part of Granma-hood, which should tell you why I insist on celebrating such a special birthday today!

Happy birthday to me!  And happy birthday to Bryce!  I love sharing a birthday with you!




5 comments:

  1. Welcome to The Land of Blog! Loved this Lory! Your 'Granma' enthusiasm comes through LOUD and CLEAR! Well written too and a lovely photo to boot. Kudos!

    Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you're blogging! Congratulations on getting it up and running. I adore the name of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Julie and Stephanie! It could be a bit scary to give a granma a soap box. And I can't promise to reign it in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't share this little blog pastime with me! So happy Christine did on Facebook! I love your writings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! I'm new to this blogging world! Please feel free to pass the site on to others! Love you, Syd!

      Delete