Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Too Predictable Prediction

Luke 22:31-38 tell us about Jesus prediction that Simon Peter will betray Him three times.  Pete is incredulous - it won't happen!  He will follow his Lord to prison or death!  Sometimes, for Pete's sake, I wish he was right.  But then, we would have missed a sorely needed illustration of redemption.

I guess I could tie this back to Herod, the ultimate Christmas bad guy.  But he never toppled from his best intentions - his intentions were never that good.  If a Bethlehem shepherd was
at the Crucifixion, maybe.  When they left the manger, "they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child." (Luke 2:17) But that's not really the same thing thirty three years and a lifetime later.

What I really see in my Christmas story, and my Easter one, too.  I see my resolve shattered by fear in the blink of an eye.  I hear the words resounding in my head, the ones I should say but don't.  I feel my feet moved to action as I sit idly by.  And I feel, with grateful shame, the grace of my Savior:  "And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."  (Luke 22:32b)

The gift I really need.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment